You are here
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
Bloomington Public Schools has integrated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) into its elementary, middle and high school core curriculum. All Bloomington students are exposed to STEM concepts starting in first grade and continuing throughout middle school. In high school, students can choose from a variety of STEM courses.
What is STEM?
STEM initiatives are not science, technology, engineering and math in isolation. STEM is the integration of courses, programs or a series of linked learning opportunities using an interdisciplinary approach through exploration, discovery and solving real-life problems.
Bloomington STEM Initiatives
There are components of STEM in all elementary schools to meet the Minnesota State Science Standards. The district goes above and beyond those standards by embedding Engineering is Elementary® (EiE) units in the curriculum for all elementary students in kindergarten through fifth grade. Students partake in various learning opportunities inside and outside the classroom with help from local partners including The Works, Richardson Nature Center, the Science Museum of Minnesota, Science House, 3M Wizards, the University of Minnesota's STEM Center, the Bloomington Police Bomb Squad and others.
Poplar Bridge Elementary School is officially a STEM school. A STEM school's curriculum emphasizes connections within and between the fields of mathematics and science with meaningful integration of engineering and technology into the core curriculum. A STEM school provides the tools and space for exploration and invention while fostering a culture of collaborative inquiry among teachers and students.
Secondary Curriculum (Middle & High School)
- Project Lead The Way: A pre-engineering curriculum for middle and high schools
- Dartfish (grade 8), Society of Women Engineers (grade 4 & 5), Dimensions Academy
- Math Through Aviation, Build A House - Targeted Services (6-8)
- Science Olympiad, Robotics, Physics for Fun - After School Programming/Extra Curricular (grades 9-12)
- School of the Future - ALC
- Camp Invention - Summer Programming (grades 1-6)
- Scholarship opportunities - Business partnerships
- Dimensions Academy High School: Dimensions Academy High School is a partnership with Normandale Community College to accelerate highly and profoundly gifted 9th and 10th grade students into college level courses in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields.